Sunday, July 13, 2008

Pro-biotic

If you've ever eaten yogurt or given it to your kids because of the "live" culture in it, then you know what a pro-biotic is. Especially if you are a woman, then you might have struggled with a "yeast" balance at somepoint in your life during or after pregnancy especially. The yogurt helps because of the lactobillcius acidophollis (I'm going to butcher spelling because I am not a scientist).

Do some research, there is so much out there now about the benefits of a pro-biotic. Basicially, through taken anti-biotics and our diet, we lose the good bacteria in our intestines. This allows the bad bacteria to take over and weakens our immune system. There have been many books written to support this by doctors and scientists, see the recommended book list on the right side of the blog site. The increase of diabetes, auto-immune disorders, ADHD, and many others can be linked to a lack of good bacteria in your gut.

Talk to the people at your healthfood store and find a good one that works for you. We started on one (watch for dairy based or additives in them if you have sensitivities) that worked pretty good for us and we saw a huge improvement in kids sleeping habits, eating habits and attitudes. We recently, however, found a homeopathic doctor who recommended another one that has all 13 strains of good bacteria, since it is hard to know what each person is missing. It has given us drastic improvement and for me and my husband as well.

I've also read a lot of articles lately on the web about how a good probiotic clears up colic. Man, since I had two extremely colicky babies, if I was giving birth again, this is what I would try.

No comments: